resonanc.scr

Clearing Archive Roboposter roboposter at lightlink.com
Sun Feb 1 12:06:02 EST 2015

RESONANCE

   Resonance is a measure of the number of possible configurations which something can assume.

   Optimum resonance is that level which gives the most satisfying combination of stability and flexibility.

   Here I need an example. The exuberant ebullient, growing in all directions ("bad") adolescent, energetically exploring the limits of both himself and his surroundings.

   I recall bing such an adolescent on the farm at 14, swinging under a maple in the front yard, and looking forward to picking the squash at the "upper place." This "sticks" in my mind, because I usually had a negative, resistive attitude towards working with my father.

   My brother Don was on the Model A Ford truck, and I picked the squash, then threw them up to him. It was challenging and fun. I felt free and alive. We hadn't dropped any. Then Dad yelled, "Hand them to him! You'll drop one!"

   So now, plod, plod, and all the joy wnet out. A combination of Beethoven's funeral march and Old Man River. Dullsville in the rain. Instead of work having an element of play (wide ranging flexibility is one definition, it now became rule following, and careful rigidity). All the "resonance," and higher vibrations or harmonics had gone out of it.

   A scientific example from FM is that the achievable fidelity is proportional to frequency band width. Or, in communication generally, the more room you have to move around in, the more easily you can transmit.

   A desirable style of life is one in which each aspect has an appropriate resonance.

   Theta can shift attention freely in ratio to the number of possible realities or beingnesses that it knows that it can choose from.

   If one has a life style which is narrowed down in order to predict, protect, "stay out of trouble," and thus keep the randomity down, then the resonance goes out of it.

   On the practical side, how does one form a life style which like a good bridge is soundly based, and can still sway freely in the wind?

   The thetan can get into a situation where he has narrowed his many possible beingnesses down to an only ONE: "Andrew Foogleslob," who is a father, a struggler, and is a shorty, being only 5'6". He has other "Only Ones" all over the place; only wife, only job, only planet, and on and on.

  Thus he has managed the confusions of life by limit, limit, limit.

   So anything which expands the bloke's Havingness to more and more possibilities that he is capable of assuming and having, with more and more fluidity of consciousness, or ability to shift attention; and then really HAVE, energized, his selection, is moving him toward Total Freedom.

   This applies in part to my experiences in playing checkers, but there's an extra factor. An aesthetic? Fascination? Enchantment? Really involved? Into it, like getting into session?

   There's an interesting thing about havingness. Sometimes, playing checkers, it's just routine pushing wood; and there are other times when it gets very subtle and complex, with lots of possibilities, and the situation becomes very interesting. There's a whole new level of quality when his happens, and I think of this as an increased havingness.

   Freedom can be defined as being in ratio to the number of choices one has,and knowing that one has the ability to move TO and CLAIM the choice that he prefers.

   Affluences of beingnesses, universes, jobs, women, or Havingness is his way out .. Abundance! Only Ones are a dramatization of scarcity and a lack of intelligence. Intelligence is in ratio to the number of viable choices one has.

   A statement that "Our way of truth is the "only way" to man's freedom (another ONLY ONE) is literal and at 1.5 on the tone scale. There is no resonance. There is only plod, plod.

   Literalness or adhering to "words" as being TRUTH stops all growth and desirable change, and even stops cognition.

   Words are ratios and establish a position on some kind of gradient scale (one of the meanings of logos in Greek is ratio). E.g., the scale: reject, repulse, resist, suffer, bear, tolerate, accept, welcome, embrace.

   "Survive!" and "transcend" (no exclammation mark) can be compared by pointing out that survive is to live through or continue beyond an experience, while transcend is to rise above or expand beyond the limits of that experience.

   A generality is also an only one. All distinctions are dropped and lumped into an Only One.

   What is the antonym of transcend as succumb is of survive? Stuck in the one and only incomparable Kohinoor diamond?

   "There is NO problem like MY problem, NO grief like MY grief, NO loss like MY loss, NO me like MY me." This is highly charged and locked in. Resonance has gone out the window.

   Difference stops an energy flow, which occurs on a similarity. An optimum flow occurs at some selected ratio of difference / similarity.

   "Logic 8. A datum can only be evaluated by a datum of comparable magnitude." and "Logic 9. A datum is as valuable as it has been evaluated."

   By theory, high TA is an inability to start (or STOPping everything - difference - the resistive case), while low TA is an inability to stop, or compulsive similarity. Overwhelmed by "free association" without selection. The old "wide open case of dianetics.

   In addition to words there is rythym and pitch.

   Someone: "There was one other interesting phenomenon .. As soon as the PC heard the question he knew the answer, and the process .. was only .. putting the concept into words. The PC was running conceptually the whole time. .. If there was any problem at all .. I'd have to say it was using the English language to communicate."

   E. Gendlin, in his "Focusing," noted the tendency of clients to settle for a round or vague approximation of a living inner experience, thus "killing" it. Words had to take 2nd place to staying in touch with an often vague, but living "felt sense."

   "The letter (literal narrow interpretation) killeth, but the spirit giveth life" (2 Corinth. 3.6).

   Here is an experiment with Gendlin's "focusing" from my biofeedback work:

   I've had high TA recently, so I just sat there and fished around and got the felt sense of "what in hell do I call it?" Here's the tough part, putting words to this "felt sense." "Not really there," non-existent, vague, detached, "nobody home," "not really involved," etc. but not really hitting it so as to get what Gendlin calls a "shift." (which seems to go with a BD).

   But I kept my attention on the sense, not the words, and finally I got Terror, which was part of this "empty dispersal." I explored this: fear of electroshock, the electric chair, falling out of a tree, colliding with another ship, etc., and then this shifted and in back of it was a generalized vague grief. And at this point some cogs:

   I cognited that I do not feel free to let others see these emotions. What I let them see is the intelligent "wiseguy" who is on top of it.

   AND, I recognized clearly that I still didn't know what this was all about, but did NOT have to put it into words that pretended I did! Nice.

   The above experiment shows how important the actual felt sense, energy field, or personal experience is compared with words (substitutes). It still has resonance.

                        ***

Sun Feb  1 12:06:01 EST 2015
ftp://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/archive/fgordon/resonanc.scr