ide0.memo

Clearing Archive Roboposter roboposter at lightlink.com
Sat Dec 8 00:06:02 EST 2018

     JOHN GALUSHA: MY REMEMBRANCE OF A EXTRAORDINARY MAN.

     On the morning of October 23, 1996, my best friend and partner for
the last 16 years, John Galusha, passed on.  In a life dedicated to
helping others, John not only touched the lives of thousands of people
but also had a profound effect on all who knew him, whether they knew
him well or just briefly.  I do not know of a single person encountering
John whose existence was not bettered through their association.

     John was born 77 years ago in Pueblo, Colorado.  He was raised on a
farm, in a time and community where life was simple.  Where people were
not sure where their next meal was coming from let alone have the
comforts so many of us now enjoy.  You either worked on a ranch or farm,
or in the local steel mill.  Life was hard, but nothing hardened or
embittered John Galusha.  He took pleasure in all things around him.
With great interest he drank in everything.  I know this by the way he
would talk to me about things during that period of his life.  I
remember he once described the making of barbed wire at the steel mill,
a subject I previously would have imagined to be boring beyond belief.
Yet the way he talked about it I found myself not only interested, but
actually fascinated.  It was not so much the subject, but the enthusiasm
with which John observed the world around him that intrigued me.  The
overpowering image I got from his stories was a strong, lean, tough
young man who embraced life, whose attention was ever outward, not stuck
in the introverted "head chewing" that so many of us occupy much of our
lives doing.  But the thing that fascinated John the most was people.
John loved people, was deeply interested by them.  He enjoyed watching
them, listening to them and observing them, but not from some judgmental
point of view.  It was like a child watching a butterfly.

     In the methodology of Idenics, a system that John developed many
years later, the cornerstone of the subject is its nonjudgemental
application, something that takes most practitioners some time to gain
proficiency at doing.  How John was able to do this so effortlessly has
always amazed me.  I think the application of Idenics is just an
extension of the way John was naturally.  He operated this way before
Idenics, not only in the previous facilitations he delivered but also in
how he dealt with people in life.  He did not have to learn to be this
way or really discover it, it was the way he always was.  But it took
time for him to recognize something that was as natural to him as
breathing, and then learn to communicate it to others who exist in a
world where such an application is so unnatural, even alien.

     Having such an intense interest in people, John could not help
noticing the misery and mental anguish that people were experiencing and
he wanted to help them.  But part of his unique character was that he
did not consider he knew anything about people.  This consideration, and
his nonjudging attitude, may be in part attributed to the fact that John
did not have much personal reality on the mental difficulties that most
of us experience.  I remember once talking with John, and bringing up
for discussion the difficulties people have with regard to how others
think about them.  He said that he was aware that people had such
issues, but at the same time had trouble imagining it since he had never
experienced such a condition himself.  I recall being severely taken
aback by his casual comment.  I thought to myself, "What planet is this
guy from who's never experienced feeling bad about what others thought
of him!"

     Wanting to help people but not considering he knew anything about
them he looked to others for these answers.  Perhaps someone else knew
what "made people tick" and he could learn from them how to help others.
John now embarked on a career that would span the next 45 years of his
life.

     In 1951 John ordered a book being advertised in a science fiction
magazine.  The book was "Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental
Health".  His interest was not in resolving personal conditions, but in
the possibility of helping others.  He read the book once through, then
again more thoroughly, and then started applying what he had learned
with others and soon had his first auditing practice.  In 1952 he went
to Wichita to do the first Dianetics course being delivered by L.  Ron
Hubbard.  After the course he stayed and began working with Hubbard and
continued doing so as Hubbard moved to other cities such as Phoenix,
Philadelphia, Camden and Washington DC.  During these years John worked
very closely with Hubbard in both technical delivery and research.  John
assisted in the training and processing areas of Hubbard's organizations
as well as the supervision of technically specialized events such as the
early Congresses, ACCs, and the first Philadelphia Doctorate Course
which was delivered in Phoenix.  Even though he was right in the middle
of technical developments and delivery, John was content to be in the
background and simply do his job.  Being there, when the majority of the
subject of Scientology was researched, he had no attention on being
recognized for his contributions.  It was as if part of him was in the
center of an exciting time, yet another part of him was on the outside
looking in, quietly observing.  His interest was not in the politics,
organization or finances, just in what he could use to help others.  And
as long as he felt he could do this according to his own integrity, he
stayed.  During his time on staff, John continued to deliver his own
auditing on the side, a practice the Scientology organization frowned
on.  But Hubbard never interfered with John doing this.  In fact, when
Hubbard was too busy to audit his own clients he would send them to
John.

     In 1958 John married Hubbard's personal secretary, Mildred Louise
Deen.  Milly was not only a very beautiful woman but an extremely
competent one.  Having once been Lyndon Johnson's secretary while
Johnson was the Senate Majority Leader, Hubbard had had himself a jewel
of an assistant who helped him in the structuring of his early
organization.  But her employment with Hubbard only lasted until 1960,
when she and John moved back to John's home state of Colorado where they
proceeded to raise a family.  But John never gave up working with people
or learning how he could do more for his clients.  He continued his own
auditing practices, participated in the first two Saint Hill Special
Briefing Courses delivered by Hubbard in England, and started the first
Scientology mission in Denver.  But as the organization of Scientology
became more rigid, John backed off.  He operated on the fringes helping
people as he could according to his own ethical standards.

     I met John in 1980.  Like John, I had had my own career working
closely with Hubbard in the upper echelons of the Church of Scientology
in the 1970s.  But unlike John, I had been quite embroiled in the
politics, organization and management areas of that organization.  My
purpose was to help people, but for years the majority of my time was
spent battling the insanitys of the organization.  My last effort in
this uphill battle was in 1980.  I had put together a project whose
success depended on having a very special person with unique technical
expertise.  From all the research done, the only person who met these
qualifications was a man I had only previously heard about.  That man
was John Galusha.  I went to John and asked for his assistance.  He
agreed, and we began on a very special partnership and adventure that
would continue for the next 16 years.

     My father once told me that a partnership was the most difficult
relationship to maintain, even harder than a marriage.  I do not doubt
this as I have seen the trials many people in partnerships have had to
go through.  But I feel I have been somewhat blessed in this regard.  In
the 16 years I worked with John there was never any real disagreement,
argument, or upset.  He did his job and I did mine.  There was a
complete trust on both sides.  I always completely trusted John in the
wearing of his hat.  I cannot say that I always trusted myself in how I
was wearing my own hat, but somehow, he trusted me.  I cannot tell you
the number of times I confide in John about doubts in my work,
desperately wanting advice.  But never did I get "feedback" or advice.
That sort of help or opinion was not in the man.  What I got was a
question, a facilitation that encouraged me to take a look, and things
got better.  I realized early on in our relationship, that John was a
very rare individual.  I knew that it was not only a privilege to know
him, but a great privilege to work with him.  I knew that I might
accomplish my purposes in helping others by connecting with this unique
person.  I believed that if I could create an environment where John
could do his work, unabated, great things might be achieved.  This
proved to be a correct action.  John blossomed and made astounding
breakthroughs.  Unfortunately, at the this time of his passing, the
magnitude and results of his work have only begun to be realized in the
world.  But I will continue to do my utmost to communicate with, service
and deliver to people only in a manner true to the integrity of John's
work.

     John Galusha was a simple man.  He had his simple pleasures in
life.  He liked reading and read a lot, gobbling up nearly everything he
could lay his hands on.  He immensely enjoyed working with his hands on
almost anything from fixing an engine to welding a several ton piece of
machinery and was always interested in how the material things in this
universe work.  He did not strive for wealth and success or fame and
recognition.  He really did not care about any of these things.  But
what he did care about was his life's work which was helping others.

     In all the years I knew John, he never had a vicious or bad thing
to say about anyone.  Sure there were things people said and did that he
did not agree with, but not once did I hear him verbally attack any of
these people.  There was much that Hubbard did and said that John
obviously had strong disagreement with but I never heard John speak ill
of the man.  Many people have asked John what he thought of Hubbard.
John's response was always very simple.  A comment like, "He did what he
did.  I liked him and considered him a friend." I recall many years ago
a reporter who was writing a book on Hubbard came from England to
interview John.  After maybe 20 minutes the reporter came out of the
interview very frustrated because he could not get John to spill any
"dirt" on Hubbard that he could use in his book.

     Looking back, I can see that John tried for many years to prepare
me for his leaving.  Eight months ago John became unexpectedly ill.
Those close to him tried desperately to figure out what was wrong and
help in his recovery.  John accepted all assistance graciously and
without question or resistance.  Though, what may have been somewhat
frustrating to those around him, he also accepted his illness in the
same manner.  He did not complain, he did not desperately seek to find
an explanation or cure.  This response had at times puzzled me, and
trying so hard to "get him well" sometimes frustrated me.  But I can see
now that at the end of John's life his caring for others was as
unwavering as it had been throughout his life.  He let us scamper around
doing what we did.  But we were also allowed to prepare for his eventual
passing as each of us had to do.  It is never easy to accept the loss of
someone you are close to.  A quick and unexpected passing can spare an
individual the pain of an impending death but can also be quite a shock
for those left behind.  I once asked John for some advice on raising
children.  What he told me was one thing that he had done: "I tried to
always take those actions that I thought they would best respond to."
Perhaps he also tried to accomplish this with the people he was leaving.

     Among all the people I have known in my life, I never met one as
devoid of ego as John Galusha.  But this is something John would have
never said about himself.  He was always looking.  I happen to know that
John had one personal desire in his life.  It was not fame and fortune.
It was something many have referred to as "enlightenment".  It was never
a subject he tried to cram down anyone else's throat, and only one that
he was perfectly willing and excited to talk about if asked.  John was
the most "enlightened" person I have ever known but he did not consider
himself to be "enlightened".  But just before passing, I had greeted him
by asking how he was doing.  John said something to me that brought me
great joy.  He said that he had recently let go of any ego that he had
still been clinging too.

     From time to time over the past few days I would find myself
weeping.  Partly I cry out of loss of my friend.  But most of all, I cry
because of the deep and profound effect this wonderful man has had on my
life.  I will greatly miss you my dear friend, and I wish you the very
best.

     Mike Goldstein

Sat Dec  8 00:06:02 EST 2018
ftp://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/archive/idenics/ide0.memo