faf65.scr

Clearing Archive Roboposter roboposter at lightlink.com
Fri Jul 5 00:06:03 EDT 2019

.ll 72
.fo off
.co on
.ce ((Editor's comments in double parenthesis - Homer))

.ce Copyright (C) Flemming A. Funch
.ce Redistribution rights granted for non commercial purposes

Technical Essay # 65 - FAF 27 November 1991

.ce What Clearing Does

The main action that takes place in a clearing process is that the client is exposed to a
specific subject matter repeatedly or long enough for him for him to discover that he can
handle it, understand it, confront it, do it, or whatever.

We are actually prescribing the symptom. Whatever the subject matter is, we will get the client
to put his nose directly in it.

If a person is scared of horses and he would like to handle that, then we get him to deal with it
on a gradient. We would talk about horses, see it from different angles, make pictures of
them, bring up negative feelings about horses, run through incidents with them, and so forth.

In other words we give the person exactly what he has a problem with. But we do it in a safe
environment and on a comfortable gradient. By doing it this way the person will gradually
realize that he CAN indeed handle the area, he does not have to have a problem with it.

In the artificial environment of the session and of his mind we give him a win on handling
something that was too intense for him in real life. This fills in the proper gradients that often
are missing in the real world.

Both positive and negative subjects fit into the idea of clearing. If the person has negative
reactions concerning a subject we make him look at it a little at a time from different angles
until he realizes that he can be comfortable with it and doesn't have to react negatively to it.
We do that on incident running, prepchecking, and in many other processes.

With a positive subject, say a new ability that the person wants, we do the same kind of thing.
We expose him to it a little at a time on a gradient until he feels that he can go and do it. That
is for example what we do on many grade processes, for example on communication.

Clearing is gradual, systematic experience. You experience an area systematically until you
can see/hear/feel clearly what is there. Since truth is always good it will generally mean that
any negative feelings will evaporate along the way.

The principle can be expanded to many different types of processes. Particularly there is
more that can be done in the field of DOING the thing we are handling. Talking about
something does not give the same freedom about it as actually being exposed to it or doing it
would.

For example, if a client wants to be better at public speaking. We can look at it and talk about
it in session and that would be very useful. However, it would probably be a better process to
actually do it on a gradient. Putting the guy up in front of a group of people and having him
talk. The same basics of processing apply: we wouldn't over-restimulate him, we would run
the process flat, and so forth.

The DO part has traditionally been weakly represented in clearing. It is considerably easier to
feel great talking about something in a session room than it is to go out and confront it for
real. The first gradient would be the session room, but we are missing some gradients if it
doesn't end up in the real world.

Processes that get a person to expose, look at, and explore real or imagined material
concerning a certain subject promote change in a person for several reasons:

1. 	We find out more about the subject by looking at it. That will help to  realize what is there
and how it should be different. Actually looking at the subject is a lot more direct than
praying or chanting or any other approach that doesn't confront the subject matter.

2. 	It demonstrates and "proves" to the person that change IS possible. His change will be
based on an exploration of the possibilities, it is  backed up with experience. That makes
the change more convincing for the person, and therefore more permanent.

3. 	What is being explored and the experiences being evaluated will serve as experiential
resources as to HOW to create and maintain the change. The person will have explored
what to do and what not to do. It is difficult to change into a desired new way of being
unless one has experienced how it would be. If one hasn't tried it on, felt it, known how it
looks and sounds, etc, then one doesn't have the experience of it, and getting it would
be a matter of trial and error.

One purpose of clearing would be to bring new experiences into awareness. That can be
experiences about a subject one has trouble with or it can be totally new experiences one
never thought of before. Bringing up these experiences and exploring them will give one
more resources that one can use in the future.

The only experiences that are worth keeping are the ones that one gets something positive
from, or that represent positive abilities. There is no point in itself in exploring pain and
suffering. What there might be a need to explore is the POSITIVE abilities to confront and
handle negative situations. A client does not get more gains the more pain and grief we get
hold of, he gets gains at the rate he creates or recovers abilities to know, confront, and
handle situations he wants to handle. That does not have to be hard.

To recapitulate, clearing works in creating change because:

	1. We get the person to look at what is there
	2. We demonstrate that change is possible
	3. We provide experience to back up the change

Fri Jul  5 00:06:02 EDT 2019
FTP://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/archive/flemming/faf65.scr
WWW://www.clearing.org
BLOG://adoretheproof.blogspot.comSend mail to archive at lightlink.com saying help