fg14.memo

Clearing Archive Roboposter roboposter at lightlink.com
Sun Aug 30 00:06:03 EDT 2020

             ((My comments in double parentheses - Homer))

                      A BROADER VIEW OF HAVINGNESS

                                FG - 14
                                No date.

                       Copyright (C) Frank Gordon
       Redistribution rights granted for non commercial purposes

     The following quotations show how Ron related connectedness to
havingness as a fundamental.

     "Connectedness is the basic process on ASSOCIATION with MEST.  The
command is "Get the idea of making (indicated object) connect with you.

     Havingness is a complicated Connectedness.  Also a permissive one."
Vol. III 163.

     "..  Connectedness in any form is a very excellent process to run.
But note carefully that we have him get the idea of making the object
connect with him.  We never command the preclear to get the other idea
of connecting with the object.  This is a no-games condition.  This is
what is wrong with the preclear."

     "The only thing that ever went wrong with the connectedness
processes was the unreality factor.  The auditor would tell the preclear
to get the idea of making that wall connect with him, when as a matter
of fact the preclear couldn't have gotten much of any kind of an idea of
making anything connect with him."

     "Thus .. "Do you think that there is anything anywhere that you
could get to connect with you?"  Vol. III 189.

     "The basic form of any havingness process is Connectedness."  Vol.
III 318.

     "There may be some factors kicking around in Havingness which are
not entirely understood and which are not entirely connected with
Connectedness.  However, it has been found that Connectedness will put a
preclear in a condition where he can eventually run Havingness.
Therefore, Connectedness undercuts and possibly even overpasses
Havingness in general."  Vol. III 191.

     The Importance of Havingness:

     "It doesn't make sense."  "What is this all about?"  "What's going
on?"  "I don't see the connection."  "What has this got to do with it?"
These are are all observations about the lack of a connection.

     The trouble many have with mathematics, Algebra, e.g.; is that they
do not have an opportunity to cognite that equations express
quantitative connections.  Usually, as the price goes up, the number of
sales go down.  When rabbits are petted while being fed, they have less
coronary sclerosis than those who are not.

     All of science is based on finding valid and useful connections.
This is not always easy.  A classic example in epidemiology was the
decrease in typhoid fever as more telephones were installed.  One might
conclude that the best way to avoid contracting typhoid fever would be
to have a telephone.  But it so happens that the key factor is actually
a parallel technological advance; the installation of a pure water
supply.

     A cognition is the recognition of a connection.  "Aha, so that's
why .."

     Learning is a kind of random exploration.  Then one can finally say
"This works but that doesn't."  To say, "This works this way." means
"Now I recognize how this connects up, and so I can control it and get
the result I wish."

     A recognition of the Connectedness of something is also an increase
in Havingness.  I can "have" a piece of equipment like a computer, but
not know its connections, i.e., how to operate it.  Then it's no better
than a doorstop.

     To really have something, is to retain a decisive control of it,
and fit it into one's life in a desired way.

     An engram can be a problem if it compels you to connect with it.
"Running it" (where run = operate) reverses this.  You make it connect
with or disconnect from you; and and thus regain control.

     Frank Gordon

Sun Aug 30 00:06:02 EDT 2020
FTP://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/archive/fgordon/fg14.memo