fictsess.scr

Clearing Archive Roboposter roboposter at lightlink.com
Thu Oct 29 18:06:02 EDT 2020

A FICTIONAL SESSION

   If you don't feel that a session was really finished, it's possible to re-run it by writing it out in a fictional form. That is what I have done here:

   "Is it alright if I audit you in this room?"

   "Yeah, I guess so," I replied doubtfully.

   "Alright, good." The auditor instructed, "Pick up the cans." I did so. "Give 'em a squeeze." I did.

   "Do you have an ARC break? That reads, what can you tell me about that?"

   "Well, I don't get along too well with others."

   "Ok, I'll check that on the meter. Do you have an ARC break? OK, that seems to be clean."

   "Is there a PTP?"

   "You mean something I'm worried about?," I inquired.

   "Yes, something that you have your attention on and that might distract you from the session."

   "Nothing special."

   "OK, good. That's clean. Is there a withhold?"

   "Something I don't want you to find out?"

   "Yes." he replied.

   "Well, I've done a lot of time in a mental institution.

   "Thank you. I'll check that on the meter. Do you have a withhold? OK, that's clean." He paused. "Now we're going to run a communication process. Is that all right with you?"

   "I guess so."

   "First, let's clear the question and make sure you know what it means. Here is the question: What are you willing to talk to me about? What do you consider that means?"

   "Well, let's see; willing - I guess that means it's OK with me to tell you about something. Let you know about something on my mind."

   "Fine. Here's the question. What are you willing to talk to me about?"

   "Nothing." This just popped out of my bank. I was surprised and expected him to respond, well, if that's the case there is no use continuing.

   Instead, he just said, "OK, What would you like to tell me about saying nothing?"

   I floundered around, "Well, it surprised me that I said that. I guess, I feel a lot of times that others have a lot of demands and I have to say just theright thing or they will get mad or something. So, even if I did want to say something, I couldn't because it wasn't just what they wanted to hear, and so it would be safer to say nothing at all."

   "OK, good. Anything else you'd like to tell me about saying nothing?"

   "Well, it seems sort of relaxing just to say it and not have to argue or get criticized. I guess that's it - oh yeah,  it's like I have to defend a position all the time, make an impression, it's like there is something going on that I don't really understand, but I have to pretend that I understand even though it doesn't make much sense to me."

   "OK. Anything else you'd like to tell me about saying nothing?"

   "Yeah, as a matter of fact, there is," I was getting into it, "I notice that when I have company out at my apartment, I always feel a kind of obligation to be a good host, to entertain, and to cater to whoever is there. There's a kind of strain so that I'm always glad when they leave. I think that covers it for the moment."

   "OK, I'll check that; anything else you'd like to tell me about saying nothing?"

   "Well, it's safe. Like they say, silence is golden. But - really, that's only when I'm facing someone who is out to get me or use what I say against me. You're not going to do that, are you?"

   "No, that would be against the auditor's code. I'll repeat the question. Is there anything else you'd like to tell me about saying nothing?"

   "Nope, not right now, anyway."

   "Good. Let's return to the first one. What would you like to talk to me about?"

   "Humph! I don't know."

   "Sorry, it's: What are you willing to talk to me about?"

   At this point my mind went to the things that I wasn't willing to talk to him about. And I sort of searched through to find something that I was willing to say. I was quiet doing this for a while.

   Maybe I was willing to tell him this. "You know, I have a problem sometimes - it's like I feel obligated to tell others what's on my mind, and maybe I don't want to, you know, like I've got to confess and tell all, and it's not something that will make others think highly of me, but it's like I have to say something, a response is demanded. Hmm! OK, I'm willing to talk to you about having to say something."

   "Ok, good. What would you like to tell me about having to say something?"

   "Confidentiality bugs me. Remember, don't tell anyone. You're not supposed to talk about it. It's a big SECRET. Nobody's supposed to talk about it, unless they are in on it and have paid a lot of money, stuff like that. Secret stuff. Don't tell."

   "Very good. What would you like to tell me about saying nothing?"

   "It's like a restraining order, a gag, you can't talk about it. Or someone has accused me, but I'm not allowed to know what the accusation is. This has happened. But this is more where others say nothing, after they have dropped a bomb. Boy! This is a big area. I hadn't realized how big and tricky this could be."

   "A lot there, huh?"

   "Yeah. Somebody can come on to me and say communicate, COMMUNICATE! But really in back of this is don't say anything about that, and that, and that, especially not THAT! This is a very interesting catch-22 double-bind."

   "You sound like you've caught on to something."

   "Whew! I would say so."

   "That's very good! Is it all right with you if we take a break?"

   "Sure."

   "Is there anything you'd care to ask or say before we do?"

   "Nope."

   "OK. Let's take a break."

                        ***

Thu Oct 29 18:06:02 EDT 2020
FTP://ftp.lightlink.com/pub/archive/fgordon/fictsess.scr